Please answer any two of the following questions regarding our readings from modules 5 and 20 in Business Communication: (preferably one from each chapter)
Chapter 5-
1) Why would you want to use more than one font in a document? What would this do for the readibility of the document? Why can't you use more than two?
2) Why might the sample document on page 77 decided to use questions for its headings? What does this do for the tone, readibility, and form of the document?
3) On page 78, the text gives you a great reason for using Serif fonts. However, it just states, "Sans Serif fonts are good for titles, tables, and narrow columns." Why?
Chapter 20-
1)Which of the three types of presentations listed on page 335 will you use? Why? Can you create a hybrid version of these styles?
2)Which organization style, listed on 341-2, do you think will be most effective for your presentation? Why?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Using more than one font in a document would help the reader stay focused and interested. It creates visual appeal that will help maintain focus. Using more than 2 fonts would have the opposite effect. It would become a distraction.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteUsing a second font can also show a different idea or subject within the document. I personally think that two fonts can just be really distracting. I would rather use size, bold, italics, or underlining to show a change in ideas or concepts.
ReplyDeleteCH20 Question2
ReplyDeleteI'm going to use the Pro-Con organization style. My topic has a definite two sides to it, so the Pro-Con will help me to show my opinion, but also the other side. The next closest type would be the Problem-Causes-Solution, but this doesn't fit because there is a huge opposing argument for my topic.
Module 5
ReplyDelete2) I believe that the sample document on page 77 used questions in the headings because it gives the document purpose and visual impact. By using questions as headers the author is communicating the issues directly and not wasting the readers time with background. This makes the problems clearly defined and allows for solutions to be addressed immediately.
Chapter 5, Q. 1
ReplyDeleteTwo fonts can make the document visually more appealing. In a complex document, such as our white paper, using two fonts can make the paper easier to read. This can be done by giving all the main headings a bigger type and all the subheadings and text a smaller type. This helps your eyes focus and move around the paper in an easier manner. Using more than two fonts can get a bit distracting and end up taking away from the document. Too many fonts make a paper look busy.
Module 20, Q. 2
ReplyDeleteThe chronological organizational style will be most effective for my presentation. This is because the issue I am discussing is more about trying to make my audience see that SMS mobile advertising is a good thing. Therefore, to start with the past and describe the history is beneficial to understanding how it came to be in the first place. Then to move on to the issue’s present state can help the audience to see how far it has come along and how this advertising medium is working in today’s world. Next, to sum it all up by looking ahead can push the audience into realizing the future benefits and hopefully in the end persuade them to act on this communications channel.
Using multiple fonts can be effective when writing a paper. This allows the reader to easily differentiate between different and it also can create a strong visual appeal. Too many fonts, however, can hurt your paper by taking away from your professionalism and hurting your overall credibility.
ReplyDeleteThe sample document on page 77 may have decided to use questions as its headings to try and engage the reader. Using questions allows the writer to lead the reader in a certain direction fairly easily. I also agree with Scott in that this allows the writer to avoid wasting time with background information.
ReplyDeleteChapter 5
ReplyDeleteOne would use two fonts in a document in order to separate titles and body sections. For the body sections, in business documents, one would use serif fonts because they make it easier on the eyes for the reader. For the titles, the book says it may be effective to use sans serif fonts that stand out more. If you use more than two fonts it looks unprofessional and weak-sauce.
I would probably have to use a monologue style presentation. Reason being, I don't think I have the presentation skills needed to pull off a guided discussion. My presentation skills are limited and I have never really done a guided presentation where you facilitate and lead the audience to the solution. This would probably be more effective but I'm just not sure I could pull it off.
ReplyDeletethis is a test, I will post my official comments tomorrow
ReplyDeleteSans Serif fonts are important for outlining areas of emphasis. They stand out among serif fonts because of enhanced blackness in the type color, which is the weight of a particular typeface.
ReplyDeleteThere is a likelihood that I will use a monologue presentation. I am not making a sales presentation for obvious reasons, and often I find it difficult to elicit participation in guided discussions. Students being forced to watch a presentation which they may have little interest in often will not participate in a guided discussion. This leaves the presenter with gaps and forced improvisation throughout his or her presentation. A hybrid could be made by giving a monologue style presentation and then asking specific questions of the audience to spark dialogue instead of waiting for the audience's questions of the presenter.
Module 20
ReplyDelete2) I believe the most effective style for my presentation is problem-cause solution. It will be beneficial for me to find a pattern that shows my audience the easiest way to select my solution. I can present what I see wrong and propose my solutions.
Module 5
ReplyDelete1) I think a different font for section titles might help visually. I know I use two fonts in my resume to show distinction between topic titles and section information. However, I think that using different fonts in the same prose section (in the same paragraph for instance) would be more distracting than helpful
As for more than three, I think it simply looks unprofessional. I agree it can be distracting. I think it is distracting because it puts more emphasis on the word processing program you used and its font capabilities than on the material you are presenting.
2) I think the questions work to make this memo into a check list. This helps employees verify that they have compelted the required tasks. Also, it makes the document less demanding. Asking questions has a nicer tone than demanding that specific actions be taken. Subconsciously, the audience feels they are being active in pleasing you not active in being subject to you and doing your bidding.
3)I know that sanserif fonts are preferred for website use (odd that this blog publishes in serif). I don't know if this relates at all to the idea of using sans serif in tables, graphs, and narrow columns. I was curious to hear your comments on this issue. Alas, everyone dodged this bullet...
Module 20
ReplyDeleteI really posted this to get you thinking about various ways to present your information. I don't feel one method is more correct than another. Rather, I am glad to see you all thinking about why you would use one over another!
Responses from Monheit:
ReplyDeleteA white paper should include: Cover page Introduction Background Evidence through research Solutions Conclusion Bibliography
Chapter 20 Question
I will be using a monologue presentation. I have already written most of my paper so I know where my presentation is headed so it makes the most sense for me to use this type of presentation.
Posts from Jimmy
ReplyDeleteChapter 5-
3)
Sans Serif fonts, unlike Serif fonts, are not designed to make the reader move
swiftly from letter to letter. Therefore, they are more suitable for titles, tables
and narrow columns, which are meant to be read more slowly and with more
care.
Chapter 20-
1)
I will use the “monologue presentation”. Since the audience wont be prepared,
any attempts to get them involved during the presentation will only make the
presentation hard to plan and manage. I believe it’s possible to create a hybrid
of the styles. For example, some subjects might require a short monologue
section before the presentation can be turned into a guided discussion. It’s also
possible to have a monologue presentation with a few questions, etc.
Post from Kyle
ReplyDeleteCh. 5 The book says to only use a maximum of two fonts in a document.
Depending on the two types of fonts this could increase the readability by
emphasizing certain sections. More than two fonts can easily overwhelm and
confuse the reader. The example on page 77 uses questions on the headings
to engage the reader. The sans serif fonts are probably easier to read in
different situations.
Ch. 20 I will try to make my presentation a combination of the monologue
and guided presentation. I believe the monologue brings structure while the
guided version provides more insight. The problem-cause organizational
method will be most effective for my presentation. This style will model
the white paper.
test post for anonymous
ReplyDelete